Tuesday 6 April 2010

Maybe it`s because I`m a Londoner

“Maybe it`s because I`m a Londoner, that I love London town….” Well actually I am not a Londoner, but I do love London town. My happiest memories as a child was my parents arranging a day trip to London.

Having three sisters, we all had different interests, and there was always arguments as to where we should visit. My parents were interested in our education, so we inevitably ended up walking our feet off round the Houses of Parliament, or Buckingham Palace. My favourite, was the trip down the Thames, and stopping off at the Tower of London, seeing all the Crown Jewels. I found it almost impossible to believe how much they were worth. On another trip, we visited the Planetarium and Madam Tussauds - I particularly liked the Chamber of Horrors!

As I grew up, I used to save as much from my wages as I could, so I could blow it all on a shopping trip to Oxford Street, knowing full well that I would be far ahead in fashion then my friends at home. Later, I really got into the theatre, and saw many memorable shows, and my favourite pop stars.

I eventually married a Londoner, who knew the city like the back of his hand. We lived just over eighty miles from London, and my husband took great pleasure in taking me “home” and showing me his old haunting grounds. He pointed out all the changes, especially round the docks. He was proud to have worked on the Post Office Tower, which was much talked about for a long time. Being a Heating and Air Conditioning Engineer, he worked in some of the most amazing buildings.

When we finished going down the nostalgic route, we made our visits more purposeful, and used to plan our days carefully. As the children got older, and money wasn`t so tight, we would treat ourselves to an overnight stay in one of London`s budget Hotels. They are usually nice and central, very good value for money, and offered excellent service.

I have lost count of the number of times we have made trips to London, but I still have a long list of places I want to see. It is lucky for me that my husband knows his way round. However, as I get older, I like to take my time a bit more, so we now treat ourselves to two or three nights in a hotel, ensuring we get the very best out of our trip.

People often ask me if I am a Londoner, as I seem to know so much about it, and just say no I “just love London town…”
For great Budget London Hotel or Hotels near Olympia London check out Kensington West.

No comments: