Saturday 8 August 2015

Most dogs are better trained than children

I've just come back from a nice long walk with my lovely dog Maddy.  Well it was lovely until I got shouted at for nothing!  We were minding our own business walking down a street and Maddy was about 5 feet in front of me. She'd normally be by my side but I was lagging really as it was hot.  She's very well trained so never has a leash.  She walked past and completely ignored a group of kids on the path who when seeing the dog approach had ran to their mother all frightened. The mother shouted at me "get your dog away from my kids" all panicking like. I was thinking that's a bit of an over reaction so I just said calmly "she's fine, she's friendly, trained to ignore, don't worry". She then shouted again still pointing at Maddy "she could bite", all hysterical like.  I wish I'd shouted back, yeah so can I, but I didn't.  I stopped, smiled and said "she's better trained than your children". Which is true, I wasn't being funny, just matter of fact, I've said it many times. Maddy does as she's told unlike most kids.  She didn't take to that comment very well. Her friend piped up saying "that's rude" or "your rude". Which I replied "no i'm not being rude, I'm just being honest, you need to educate yourself and children that dogs are not dangerous when treated right and in this country people have them as pets and are not to be feared".  She didn't like this and went on shouting abuse at me. I kind of laughed it off and when I had heard enough I walked off I told her to keep a lead on her kids. Well she'd annoyed me by this stage. Maddy had done nothing! Just walk by minding her own business.  


Maddy is a border collie and very well trained and obedient. I couldn't have a dog if it wasn't, I need a dog that does as it's told like my children.  She's never had a lead and is trained to walk to a heal and ignore people and dogs unless they come up and say hi friendly to her. She's the softest nicest natured dog out there. That's why I got her, collies are one of the best family dogs to have, easy to train, but need lots of exercise.  If that woman had a bit of common sense she would see that the dog was obviously obedient as it had no lead on.  Surely she could tell dog owners struggling with unruly dogs on leads. I always find it amusing as I wander around with Maddy as she walks past ignoring dogs while other dogs are pulling like crazy. 

It seems the last few years I've noticed some strange looks and similar reactions from people when I'm walking Maddy. I know some people think dogs should be on a lead and I agree. But if a dog is obedient and will do what you say then leads are not needed. Maddy has never had a lead and I don't want to start using one when she doesn't need it.  It seems lots of people and children are scared of dogs these days. I'm assuming it's mostly immigrants who are not used to dogs or have been conditioned by some stupid religion. Well I don't care who they are, where they came from or what crap they believe. People have dogs in England so deal with it folks, and the majority of them are far more well behaved and safer than human beings. Kids and people are far more dangerous than dogs.



No comments: